I was given the following cloze passage with 9 questions. Blanks 3, 6, 7 and 8 have [requirements in brackets] that must be followed when answering. I have filled in my own answers in bold.

While all other blanks were marked correct, I was marked as incorrect for blank 3. Is いつ a valid answer? Why or why not?

僕の名前は宇良和輝。17歳で、仕事は (1) 日本の大切な文化を守る人の 一つとして有名な相撲。(2)上手になる ために (3) いつ [Wh-Question] も一生懸命に頑張っています。毎日 (4) 練習して ばかりで疲れてしまいますが、(5)睡眠 さえ 取れ ば、すぐ元気になります。怖い先輩もいて、(6)しかられ [Passive] たり、(7)お茶をいれさせられ [Causative-Passive] たりして、いやになるときもありますが、新しい友達もでき、一緒に (8)助け [to help] 合っています。大変ですが、相撲の (9)大変さ はやった人にしかわからないと思います。僕はがんばりますよ、横綱になるまでは。

Perhaps because you filled a wh-word instead of wh-question? And is it true that your answer #1 was marked correct? Apr 27 '17 at 9:00
  • Yes it was... do you think it is unnatural?
    – rhyaeris
    Apr 27 '17 at 13:32
    I think (1) is incorrect and (3) is correct. My answer for (1) is 「日本の大切な文化を守る(伝統的)スポーツの」
    – mackygoo
    Apr 27 '17 at 15:07
    @rhyaeris As mackygoo said, 相撲 isn't a 人 but a sport. Apr 28 '17 at 3:25
  • @broccoliforest also 「守る人の一*つ*」is off, it would be 一人 Jun 29 '17 at 22:19

Yes, I do believe いつ there is a correct/valid answer. いつ meaning a WH-Question for "when" would fit here as in いつも (always)

Perhaps however, this was not the expected answer. Perhaps it was 「だれ」meaning here everyone is doing their best.

• つまり「上手になるためにだれも一生懸命に頑張っています」になる、ってことですかね・・・?
    – Chocolate
    Dec 6 '17 at 2:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.