Context:

A girl is monologuing. She's talking to another girl. She had previously said what she desires is her happiness. After that she monologues:

違うんだよ、アリス。私はね、そうやって、自分を誤魔化してるんだよ。

I'm well aware that the sentence she said before means something like: You're wrong, Alice. I'm only saying that to make myself look better.

This is what I'm not sure about:

あなたのことを気遣ってると思いこむことで、逃げてるんだよ。

I'm just running away from it all by pretending/through caring about you like this.

She really cares or she makes it seem she cares?

• Can you post more context? Who is speaking, who is あなた、and who is "she"? In what kind of situation are they talking? – melissa_boiko Apr 25 '17 at 22:49
  • A girl is monologuing. She's talking to another girl. She had previously said what she desires is her happiness. After that she monologues: 違うんだよ、アリス。私はね、そうやって、自分を誤魔化してるんだよ。after that she monologues again (the sentence I'm asking about). I'm well aware that the sentence she said before means something like: You're wrong, Alice. I'm only saying that to make myself look better. But I'm asking about the next sentence (the one I in my question). – 天照天照 Apr 25 '17 at 23:36

違うんだよ、アリス。私はね、そうやって、自分を誤魔化してるんだよ。

I don't know what you meant by "make myself look better", but I think it means the "monologuing girl" is fooling herself.

あなたのことを気遣ってると思いこむことで、逃げてるんだよ。

Here, 「あなたのことを気遣ってると思いこむ」 is the means of running away (like you said), but I don't think 「思いこむ」 itself is pretending, but rather "imagining something".

So yes, I think that she makes it seem that she cares, but only in the sense of fooling herself, not Alice. She even goes all the way to explain it to her.

• It is all monologue. She would never tell it to Alice. Lisa had confessed to Alice's loved one knowing she loved him and that he loved her. Lisa was the only one who knew but he stole the boy even so. The monologue is like this (these are just thoughts,they don't actually talk to each other): Lisa: 違うよ。 Alice: いい女で、いい友達で、どうしてそんな残酷な位置にいるんだよ?Lisa: 違うんだよ、アリス。私はね、そうやって、自分を誤魔化してるんだよ。 Alice: これじゃあたし、前にも後ろにも行けない。。Lisa: あなたのことを気遣ってると思いこむことで、逃げてるんだよ。Alice: 一歩も進めない。。 – 天照天照 Apr 26 '17 at 14:36
  • Knowing this how would you translate those 2 sentences from my question? – 天照天照 Apr 26 '17 at 14:38
  • @天照天照 Well, in that case Lisa might not be so innocent but the sentences still mean the same. Lisa is fooling herself into thinking that she's worrying about Alice and that way running away from everything. – siikamiika Apr 26 '17 at 15:12
  • Nice. Last thing, could you give me your literal translation of both sentences? Just to make sure I understood everything right. – 天照天照 Apr 26 '17 at 15:15
  • 1. You're wrong, Alice. I am, you see, like that, fooling myself. 2. By imagining that I am worrying about you, I am running away from everything. – siikamiika Apr 26 '17 at 15:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.