I am a Japanese learner and I would like to know if my katakana handwriting is readable.

katakana handwriting

Your ム looks a little strange, as if you had written it using three strokes (it has only two strokes). Try writing the "bow" with one stroke and the little ending mark on the right with another. Apr 23 '17 at 17:02
    Looks fine to me. You may be interested to know that the standard order for Japanese vowels is アイウエオ rather than アエイオウ Apr 23 '17 at 17:05
    @Bajiru I see. Keep in mind that Japanese handwriting and printed/digital fonts tend to have quite a lot of differences. Although most fonts show ム as if it were written with three strokes, it is counted (and written) as two. Apr 23 '17 at 17:22
    Also, the order for the rows is アカサタナハマヤラワ
    – Earthliŋ
    Apr 23 '17 at 17:37
    Your ク kind of looks like your ワ to me.
    – Blavius
    Apr 23 '17 at 22:05

Generally your writing is very good and readable. You can improve them by the following advice.

enter image description here

I know we are supposed to avoid "thank you" comments but I just have to say that this is above and beyond what I expected out of an answer.
    – Leo
    Apr 24 '17 at 7:53
  • @Bajiru I'll give you 「メ」from my girl friend.
    – mackygoo
    Apr 24 '17 at 14:13

Your writing is generally readable, but here are some advice:

• Katakana is meant to be composed of straight strokes. The subtle curves you may see in typefaces are reproduction of "human" trait that we inevitably involve roundness when we try to draw straight lines, and not that you should trace it, especially in handwriting.

This font is very close to the bare structure what we "intent" to write, though there is little chance the actual outcome would be like this unless you put really strong force on the pen.

• Your characters look as if "italicized". While they come to more or less oblique in fast horizontal handwriting, deviation from upright posture is not considered normal because of handwriting (remember, Japanese is also written vertically). Try make vertical lines exact perpendicular, and left- and right-ward strokes symmetric angles in ハ or メ. Moreover, rightward strokes in ソ (so) and ツ (tsu) should be rightward at any rate.

• ク (ku) should be written like its original kanji 久 without the last stroke (i.e. a bit oblong), while a good practice of writing ワ (wa) is thinking it of a broken downward triangle (▽).

• As already commented, ム should be written in two strokes whatever the previous character is displayed like in your environment, unless you're the sort of person who writes "a" in two stories :)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.