I am a Japanese learner and I would like to know how my name is in Japanese. My name is Bill and I have seen the translations "ビル" (biru) and "バジル" (bajiru). I am aware that バジル means "basil" but I use it most of the times. Can you please help me?

バジル seems odd to me; I don't think I have ever heard it as a name. I would certainly stick with ビル (unless, of course, your name is pronounced somewhat akin to basil in English). – Ben Steffan Apr 23 '17 at 15:44
  • @Ben Steffan Thanks for your advice! ありがとうございます! – Bajiru Apr 23 '17 at 15:48
  • @Blavius my bad, deleted the comment – Felipe Oliveira Apr 24 '17 at 2:23
  • This could be a funny website for you: kanjizone.com/kanjiname.aspx?name=Bill Anyway, I'd go with ビール. Definitely funnier than ビル. :) – Tommy Apr 24 '17 at 2:33
  • @Tommy Haha! 😂 Yeah! Very funny! – Bajiru Apr 25 '17 at 16:29

ビル is a good transcription of the name Bill. This website confirms the match: http://apps.nolanlawson.com/japanese-name-converter/#?q=Bill

Example:

なぜウィリアムのあだ名がビルなんですか?またなぜロバートはボブなんですか?

This is from a yahoo question website.

Why is Bill a nickname for William? Also, why does Robert become Bob?

You're quite right about バジル being the Japanese word for basil - it would make you sound as though you were named after a herb. More to the point, it doesn't sound anything like your name. ビッル might be another transcription, but this seems strange to me and I can't find any examples of it being used.

Incidentally, ビル could also mean a multi-storey building or a bill, as in check, invoice, paper money or beak of a bird - these are loan words from English. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%93%E3%83%AB

• Can I also use ウィリアム as Bill is the short/nickname of William? – Bajiru Apr 25 '17 at 16:48
  • If you want people to call you ウィリアム, that seems quite all right to me. A google search of ウィリアム brought up links to Prince William. In Japanese I sometimes go by ロブ and sometimes ロバート. I prefer to tell people the former, because it's easier to pronounce. – Robert May 12 '17 at 4:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.