From this paragraph:

中邑はかつての戦友たちの気持ちをおもんぱかりながらも「最近の日本のプロレスのスタイルというか、特に危険な技の応酬という意味では、そういうトレンドになっていた。本間さんの件もしかり、重傷者が出てきているということに考えたり、変える必要がある時期なんじゃないかな。各レスラーが今の危険な技だったり、リスクを顧みない試合について考えないといけない」と警鐘を鳴らした。

There are two things I don't understand:

-Is there some sort of connection between というか and という意味では in this line(I think he's talking about wrestling style as a whole but then kind of backs down):

「最近の日本のプロレスのスタイルというか、特に危険な技の応酬という意味では、そういうトレンドになっていた。

-And this line(Is it saying that nowadays each wrestler possess dangerous moves?):

各レスラーが今の危険な技だったり

というか is a word used before trying to rephrase/re-explain something. It's close to "or rather" or "I mean" in English.

~という意味では literally means "in the sense of ~", but here you can roughly translate this as "as far as ~ goes", "if you mean ~", or "speaking of ~", etc.

So he first tried to say 最近の日本のプロレスのスタイルという意味では ("regarding the recent style of Japanese pro wrestling"), but stopped saying it in the middle and rephrased it to something more specific, 危険な技の応酬という意味では.

最近の日本のプロレスのスタイルというか、特に危険な技の応酬という意味では、そういうトレンドになっていた。
Speaking of the recent style of Japanese pro wrestling... I mean, (speaking of) the exchange of dangerous moves in particular, (yes, certainly,) there have been such a trend.

And this sentence:

各レスラーが今の危険な技だったり、リスクを顧みない試合について考えないといけない。
Each wrestler must (re)think about (things like) dangerous moves and reckless games these days. (lit. "games about which you don't consider risks")

だったり/であったり is just another way to list nouns and na/no-adjectives non-exhaustively. It's basically the famous verb + たり + verb (+ たり) construction, except that the copula だ is used instead of normal verbs. 各レスラー is the subject of 考えないといけない. 今の危険な技 is a noun phrase meaning "dangerous moves (found) these days." If you were disturbed by the comma after だったり, please keep in mind that Japanese commas have very little grammatical role.

• I'm trying really hard to understand the だ in 危険な技だったり but it seems weird . Is there another way to rephrase that part? I mean is it really necessary to have a verb after 危険な技? why not 危険な技と like in "A と B について考えないといけない"?? – Jon Apr 21 '17 at 16:54
    危険な技リスクを顧みない試合について考えないといけない is basically the same. 危険な技リスクを顧みない試合について考えないといけない sounds a bit different because of the reason explained here. だったり looks similar to the past-form (ta-form), but many people simply regard it as the tari-form of the copula. Semantically it's not related to the past tense. Finally, たり usually has to be used twice or more in a "well-written" sentence, but the second たり is sometimes omitted. Please see this. – naruto Apr 21 '17 at 17:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.