Is 「お尻には落ちた」 the correct way to say "I fell on my ass"?

I fell on my ass.

「尻餅{しりもち}をついた」

「私、しりもちついちゃった。」

enter image description here  

enter image description here

つく -> fell なので過去形で・・・一応・・・ – Chocolate Apr 20 '17 at 14:24
    Hmm, I'll never be able to eat 餅 the same way again... – istrasci Apr 20 '17 at 15:04
    @istrasci The expression derives from the similarity between 餅つき (consult youtube for how it's done if you like) and falling, rather than the similarity between 餅 and butts. At least so I understand. Does this perhaps make your life easier? – Yosh Apr 21 '17 at 4:20
    尻もち(short for 尻もちつき) Pounding rice with the ass -> 「尻もちをつく」は「尻でもちをつく」ということではなく、「尻餅とは、祝い餅のひとつ。生後1歳に満たない子供が歩くと、親を凌ぐ大物になるという言われから行われる風習行事に由来する。 歩き出した子供に1升の米、または餅を背負わせ、後にその餅をお尻に投げつけ (←わざと倒して) 子供の成長を祝う。投げつけられた餅が尻餅である。・・・『尻餅を突く』と言う言葉はこの餅から来ている」(Wiki尻餅) あるいは「子供の初めての誕生日を祝ってつく餅。初めての誕生日より前に立って歩いた子供は早く家を出て行くといって、この餅を背負わせてわざと倒したりする。」(デジタル大辞泉) 辺りからきていると思うのですが。 – Chocolate Apr 21 '17 at 6:30
    @Yosh: No, because my brain already made the association between 餅 and butts, regardless of the correctness of it. (>_<) – istrasci Apr 21 '17 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.