Is it proper or acceptable to say "僕はもともとNew Yorkから来まして。。。" during a formal self-introduction? This would be in the presence of superiors. Or does anyone know a better way to begin a 自己紹介?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Whether or not it is appropriate to use 「元々{もともと}」 in your self-introduction would depend on how you ended up at your present place of residence.

Straight from New York:

If you just came to your current city/country, etc. straight from New York where you were born and raised, it is not very natural to use 「元々」. You might say:

「ニューヨーク出身{しゅっしん}です。」 or

「ニューヨークから参{まい}りました。」 (You used 「来{く}る」, but it is informal, so I used 「参る」.)

Disclaimer: It is not a crime to use 「元々」 in this case, but in a place like this, that is how I would answer your question.

Via at least one other place:

If you have lived in at least one other place prior to living where you live now after originally living in New York for x years, it is appropriate to use 「元々」. You could say:

元々ニューヨーク出身です。」

and you may tell what other places you have lived before coming to your current place.

IMPORTANT: Drop the first-person pronoun. They know who you are talking about.

|improve this answer|||||

I would go with

(もともと)ニューヨーク出身で。。。

Since new york is well known. Else I would have specified the country first.

I don't think there is anything wrong with もともと in this scenario. It is optional and quite neutral. It won't impress them, but it won't be impolite either. Although I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt they will be so picky if you are a foreigner anyway.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.