I wonder if PPAP song by Kazuhito Kosaka actually has a secret meaning?

As far as I know, words in Japanese can mean several different things depending on their conjuctions or one's interpretation.

Question: Is there a secret second meaning in words like "Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen" when translated into Japanese language and/or written in a certain way?

P.S.: jokes aside, I am really curious

One famous kind of apple is Fuji. It stands for Japan. Another is Red Delicious. The meaning is that Japan should embrace Communism. "This is a pen" is a famous textbook English sentence in Japan; since the true Japanese used brushes, "pen" stands for America. The pen is mightier than the sword, so America beat the Japanese samurai spirit. This is the "uh!" of pen penetrating apple. Pineapples in old language are 鳳梨, phoenix pears. Phoenix is China and pears are golden = 金 = Kim = North Korea. American missile-pens aim for them next. It's a deeply political song. (This comment is 100% false.) – melissa_boiko Apr 19 '17 at 17:59
    Anyway, we Japanese are taught at first that the phrase "This is a pen." is an English language. This fact seems to make us familiar with this song. – mackygoo Apr 19 '17 at 20:12
  • @leoboiko LOL ... – Felipe Oliveira Apr 19 '17 at 20:42
  • @leoboiko nice one – andrgolubev Apr 19 '17 at 22:04
  • @leoboiko You should post that as an answer. lol – Tommy Apr 19 '17 at 23:54

I think the song doesn't have any secret meanings.

I saw his interview about the song. He has made songs with a computer. One day he sat in front of a desk in order to make a song. He had already made the rhythm of the song at that time, so he only needed to make the lyrics of the song. When he was listening to the rhythm, he had a pen and there was an apple on the desk. He happened to stick the pen into the apple and thought this was an "apple pen".

He likes puns. The words "apple" and "pineapple" are similar, so he thought the pronunciation of "Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen" was interesting.

• Good to know, many thanks! I am a little disappointed though, I thought there is a trick in a phrase or something. You know, he has a very charming smile which apparently can be misleading. – andrgolubev Apr 19 '17 at 22:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.