I'm having trouble understanding this paragraph:

抗争相手に浮上している元世界ヘビー級王者のドルフ・ジグラー(36)を「サイズは自分のほうがあるけど、機動力とかレスリングのベースは信頼できる技術は持ってるなと思いますね」と評したが、スマックダウンには新日本プロレス時代のライバル・AJスタイルズを筆頭に強敵が揃う。

I think there's an implied verb in 抗争相手に浮上 and after ドルフ・ジグラー(36)を. Also I'm not sure whether the speaker is talking about himself or his oponent(ドルフ・ジグラー) in this line: (the speaker is taller than ドルフ・ジグラー)

「サイズは自分のほうがあるけど、機動力とかレスリングのベースは信頼できる技術は持ってるなと思いますね」

I don't think a verb is implied somewhere. 抗争相手に浮上している is a relative clause that modifies 元世界級ヘビー王者. (Alternatively, you can think 抗争相手に浮上している and 元世界ヘビー級王者の independently modify ジグラー.)

[抗争相手に浮上している→]元世界王者
A former world heavyweight champion who has emerged as a rival (of the interviewee)

ドルフ・ジグラー is the object of 評した.

ドルフ・ジグラーを「~」と評した
(The interviewee) commented about Dolph Ziggler, "~"

抗争相手に浮上している元世界ヘビー級王者のドルフ・ジグラー(36)を「~」と評した
(The interviewee) commented about Dolph Ziggler, a former world heavyweight champion who has emerged as his rival, "~".

In the quote, the speaker is of course talking about Ziggler's skill ("Although I am taller, I think Ziggler has a skill ...").

• @Jon I edited my answer as to what modifies what. – naruto Apr 19 '17 at 13:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.