I don't know when I have to use totemo and takusan. They both mean "very", don't they?

• What made you think たくさん means "very"? Can you give an example where たくさん is used as "very"? – Chocolate Apr 18 '17 at 15:06

They both mean "very", don't they?

No, while とても means "very", たくさん does not.

• たくさん is an adjective, means "a lot of", or "plenty of", and you use it generally for describing noun quantity.

E.g. たくさんのお金{かね} = a lot of money

• とても is an adverb modifying adjectives.

E.g. とてもうれしい = very glad

Both words are used similarly to their English counterparts.

In addition, たくさん can be used adverbially like 彼女とたくさん話したい(I want to talk with her a lot). – Yuuichi Tam Apr 18 '17 at 11:43
    In addition, you can say 私{わたし}は「とても」「たくさん」本{ほん}を持{も}っている。I have tremendously a lot of books. – mackygoo Apr 18 '17 at 12:07
  • @YuuichiTam I can't see how your example is adverbial. You don't say "I want it a lot" – macraf Apr 18 '17 at 12:12
  • @mackygoo I don't understand the intention behind your comment. Do you mind explaining? – macraf Apr 18 '17 at 12:13
    @mackygoo I just want to say that たくさん is often used adverbially and たくさん本をもっている is more common than たくさんの本を持っている. I think this information is helpful for Japanese learners. Not I want to discuss but add the information. – Yuuichi Tam Apr 19 '17 at 4:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.