For a long time I have roughly approximated 例えば to 'for example' and thought of 例え as a word to emphasize ~ても and similar constructions, but in the lyrics to Ash like Snow by The Brilliant Green, 例えば seems to be used like 例え.

例えば光が消え失せて この地球{ほし}が堕ちても

Is 例えば really being used like 例え, or am I misinterpreting it? Is this poetic licence? Does this 例えば belong to one of the meanings here?

• It's just an ordinary 例えば, meaning "let us say", "suppose" etc. – broccoli forest Apr 18 '17 at 3:55

In this case, 「例{たと}えば」 is used to mean 「もしも」. That is to say that it is used to assume a situation -- "if, for instance,".

Obviously, that is not the most common meaning/usage of 「例えば」, but every good dictionary will give that definition.

It so happens that the lyrics would still make sense if 「例えば」 were to be replaced by 「例え」, but I would think that the writer actually meant to use 「例えば」 there. IMHO, therefore, it is not a matter of poetic licence.

"Does this 例えば belong to one of the meanings here?"

Yes, it is definition #3 there.

例えば光が消え失せて この地球{ほし}が堕ちても

I visited the site and read the whole lyrics of Ash like Snow, and I found that the 「例えば」 should be written 「例え」in this phrase as a natural Japanese.

For a long time I have roughly approximated 例えば to 'for example' and thought of 例え as a word to emphasize ~ても and similar constructions

I certify that you correctly understand the meanings of 例えば and 例え, and the difference between them.

This answer isn't really satisfactory. Is there a reason, other than syllable count, that the songwriter would have chosen 例えば instead of 例え? – Aeon Akechi Apr 18 '17 at 22:29
  • 例えば is used to show an example of a fact, but 地球が堕{お}ちる is not a fact, so you usually can't show/tell/say the pharase with 例えば. 例え … ても is usually show/tell/say something that never happens. – mackygoo Apr 18 '17 at 23:22
  • 例えば is used not only to tell a fact, but a possible thing to happen. – mackygoo Apr 18 '17 at 23:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.