I came across this phrase but I can't find in the internet what it means. At first I thought 全中制覇 is an idiom but there was no result when I tried searching for it in the net.

• Where did you come across this? Can you provide some context? – istrasci Apr 13 '17 at 15:56
  • I answered the question, but you really should have provided some context. – l'électeur Apr 13 '17 at 16:06
  • I'm sorry I forgot to add the context, I'll always remember to add it from now on. It's a statement said to a martial arts champion. The statement was "全中制覇のウワサはきいてたがここめで強いとは..." – Karen88 Apr 14 '17 at 1:39
  • The statement was said, in the actual competition area after the martial arts champion had won, by the losing competitor. The competition was for 全国大会. – Karen88 Apr 14 '17 at 1:48

「全中{ぜんちゅう}」 is short for 「[全国]{ぜんこく}[中学校]{ちゅうがっこう}[体育]{たいいく}[大会]{たいかい}」, which is like all-Japan championship meets for junior high school athletes.

Thus, 「全中制覇{ぜんちゅうせいは}」 would mean "winning/becoming a champ at the 全中".

For the advanced learners, the high school version of 「全中」 is commonly called 「インターハイ」.

• Thank you. I was so fixed in thinking that it was 4文字熟語, I didn't expect that it was an abbreviated word. ^^ – Karen88 Apr 14 '17 at 2:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.