From Hirameki Hatsume-chan Vol 1, chapter 71 How does the sentence in the third panel translate, and who is doing what to whom? Is it a potential and the どうぐ is "enabling" him to have good dreams or is it passive and the 見る verb used to mean "show"?

[(私が/人が)いい夢を見られる]道具
A tool [with which (I/people) can see a good dream]

いい夢を見られる is a relative clause modifying 道具.
Its non-relative equivalent would be:

道具(私が/人が)いい夢を見られる。
With a tool, (I/people) can see a good dream.

So the 見られる is potential. Its subject can be "I", "we", "you" or "people" who will have a good dream using that tool. The particle で goes missing when you turn the sentence into the relative clause.

Compare:

• 私がペン使った。-- I used the pen.
    → [私が使った]ペン -- the pen that I used (を goes missing)

• 道具火を起こす。 -- (I) start a fire with a tool.
    → [火を起こす]道具 -- a tool with which (I) start a fire (で goes missing)

• きれいな字が書ける。 -- (I) can write beautiful characters with a brush.
    → [きれいな字が書ける]筆 -- the brush with which (I) can write beautiful characters. (で goes missing)

• How do you figure out what the modified noun would do in the original sentence, or do you just go by what makes the most sense in the context ? – TheComputerist Apr 14 '17 at 16:43
  • @TheComputerist You'd have to just go with what makes the most sense. For more on this topic, you can refer to this thread: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/14541/… – Chocolate Apr 15 '17 at 9:42

How does the sentence in the third panel translate?
いい夢{ゆめ}を見{み}られる道具{どうぐ}か・・・

Well, this is an instrument that enables you to have good dreams...

who is doing what to whom?

道具 is enabling the person who uses/possesses the 道具 to have good dreams.

Is it a potential and the どうぐ is "enabling" him to have good dreams or is it passive and the 見る verb used to mean "show"?

It is a potential and the どうぐ is "enabling" him to have good dreams.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.