Thinking about the events concerning everyone's "favorite" airline United, I started to wonder what the Japanese word for "re-accommodate" was and 'oogle Translate wasn't much help.

Though I couldn't find the exact translation, how about these?

re-accommodation 振替{ふりかえ}/振替{ふりか}え/振{ふ}り替{か}え, re-accommodate 振{ふ}り替{か}える/振替{ふりか}える

This is an example using 振替{ふりかえ}.

(事故{じこ}のとき) 振替輸送{ふりかえゆそう}をする
let passengers use alternative means of transportation without charge

The United Airlines may insist that;

この度{たび}の件{けん}では、ユナイテッド航空{こうくう}は、単{たん}に、お客様{きゃくさま}に振替便{ふりかえびん}へのご搭乗{とうじょう}をお願{ねが}いしただけです。   

• IMO this answer is particularly good as you can use this verb to re-accommodate CEOs too :) – broccoli forest Apr 13 '17 at 10:45

In the UA context, how about ご乗客様の選択なさった便を変更させていただきました?

According to weblio accommodate can be translated in various ways depending on the context.

I think you are interested in the first definition:

〈施設・乗り物などが〉〈人を〉収容する,乗せる,泊める.

I am not sure if there is a single word that includes the idea of "re"-accommodate, but one possibility in your case would be: 乗客{じょうきゃく}を再{ふたた}び収容{しゅうよう}する。

Ps. I'm trying to stay close to the context in your question and to give an answer as literally close as possible. Honestly though, I am not sure if in real life in that specific situation Japanese people would pick the word "accommodate" at all.

• yeah, in Japanese they would probably use something totally different... – Y12K Apr 13 '17 at 6:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.