I have two examples:

噂に違{たが}わぬと言ったところか. -- Then, he really lives up to the rumor!
この建物の建設にかかる費用はおおよそ100億円といったところか -- That would mean that we need 10 million to build this building!

I would bet that か here is used in the following sense 驚きや感動の気持ちを表す。(that is how I translated it above). Is it really so?

Related question: Ending a sentence like that may seem blunt. How it is possible to keep the tone of surprise (as long as I have guessed right) but with a softer ending?

I would bet that か here is used in the following sense 驚きや感動の気持ちを表す。(that is how I translated it above). Is it really so?

I am afraid that is not the case.

「~~といったところか」 simply means "I would say ~~~". It implies that the statement would at least be fairly accurate if not 100% accurate.

This is a way of talking as much to yourself as to your listeners/readers. It is a way of avoiding clear declaration as well. It softens the tone of the statement compared to sentence endings such as 「~~である」、「~~だ」, etc.

It seems that you were thinking of the 「か」 used  as in:

「このメロンは二万円{にまんえん}もするの!」 = "What? This melon costs 20,000 yen?!"

That 「か」 would certainly express 驚{おどろ}きや感動{かんどう}の気持{きも}ち.

• "I am afraid that is not the case." >> I am glad I asked them. Thank you very much. – 永劫回帰 Apr 13 '17 at 10:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.