I've seen many different dictionaries and such, and many have a name section where you may put in any kanji. Because I have a Taiwanese origin, I have Chinese characters that can be used as kanji: 王元劭. Are the dictionaries correct and can I choose any reading? These readings don't seem to be kunyomi or onyomi.

dictionary

marked as duplicate by istrasci, 永劫回帰, Blavius, macraf, broccoli forest Apr 13 '17 at 10:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Did you check the answers to your previous question? If I understand the highest voted one correctly, you could ask to change your name's reading to 「ワン・ユァンシャオ」 or 「ワン・ユエンシャオ」. Or do you mean that you want a completely new reading that doesn't sound like your Chinese name? – siikamiika Apr 12 '17 at 14:20
  • I did see the answers on my previous question and I'm curious whether these readings are correct. – Elvio Wang Apr 12 '17 at 14:39
  • @ElvioWang Those readings in that dictionary are correct one for each family that has each name. But they are proper names and not your name or the readings for your name. – user4092 Apr 14 '17 at 22:43

Many names in Japanese that are written with kanji can have different readings. That is not to say that they DO have different readings, however.

I used to live in a place called Nogata, but when I was first given the name, I was told I was going to Nakata. The Japanese person who told me had no idea that the reading was different.

However, no one in Nogata would say that the town was Nakata.

• I think the question is not about place names in Japan, but rather how to choose an appropriate reading for a Chinese name. – Earthliŋ Jun 24 '18 at 16:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.