This question already has an answer here:

The verb 調べる means

to examine;  to investigate;  to check up;  to sense;  to study;  to inquire;  to search

The 連用形 調べ means

1. investigation;  inspection;  examination
  2. tune;  note;  melody

In this case, why does 連用形 have meanings (tune, note, melody) that are not related to 連体形?

marked as duplicate by naruto, l'électeur, macraf, Blavius, 永劫回帰 Apr 11 '17 at 8:20

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Instead of 連体形, I think 終止形 or 辞書形 is the right word here. Do you mind if I edit your question? – naruto Apr 11 '17 at 1:54
  • You need a better dictionary. See sense 2 here: kotobank.jp/word/…. Your question is based on a misunderstanding, so it can likely be closed. – Dono Apr 11 '17 at 2:15
  • @Dono Yes, etymologically 調べ is from the original meaning of the verb. But as a verb, that meaning is rare and highly poetic today (I could not recall that meaning at first). – naruto Apr 11 '17 at 10:15

This is a very good question. I'm a Japanese, but I didn't know the answer. I searched on the Internet for your question. At last I found a proper answer at the URL site: https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q11112790666
I'll show you what it is as follows with adding furigana to kanji. Sorry to say, but I know this is a long answer and only in Japanese. So I recommend you to read the last part of the answer where there is the conclusion of it.

Question
音楽{おんがく}で使{つか}う「しらべ」の語源{ごげん}は? よく歌{うた}や音楽{おんがく}の世界{せかい}で「調{しら}べ」という言葉{ことば}を耳{みみ}にしますが、この言葉{ことば}にも語源{ごげん}はあるのでしょうか? 普段{ふつう}一般的{いっぱんてき}に使{つか}われている「調{しら}べる」とは全{まった}く違{ちが}う意味{いみ}なのに、同{おな}じ漢字{かんじ}を使用{しよう}しているところに何{なに}か理由{りゆう}があるのかと思{おも}いまして。 調{しら}べてみても語源{ごげん}が見{み}当{あ}たらなかったので、どなたかご存知{ぞんじ}の方{かた}がいらっしゃいましたらご教授{きょうじゅ}の程{ほど}お願{ねが}い致{いた}します。

Answer
古語{こご}辞典{じてん}などで「しらべる」(古形{こけい}は「しらぶ」)という単語{たんご}を見{み}ると、平安{へいあん}時代{じだい}以前{いぜん}は「楽器{がっき}を調律{ちょうりつ}する」「楽器{がっき}を鳴{な}らす」と言{い}う用法{ようほう}がほとんどです。「調査{ちょうさ}する」というような意味{いみ}で使用{しよう}される例{れい}は、中世{ちゅうせい}にならないと出{で}てきません。 このことからもわかるように、「調{しら}ぶ」「調{しら}べ」は、元来{がんらい}、「楽器{がっき}の調子{ちょうし}を整{ととの}える」という意味{いみ}だったと考{かんが}えられます。「調子{ちょうし}を整{ととの}える」と言{い}う意味{いみ}から「いろいろなネタを照{て}らし合{あ}わせて吟味{ぎんみ}する」と言{い}う意味{いみ}が派生{はせい}し、「調査{ちょうさ}する」という意味{いみ}を持{も}つようになった物{もの}でしょう。 以上は、ヤマトコトバの世界{せかい}。次{つぎ}に、これが漢字{かんじ}の世界{せかい}と出会{であ}ったときに何{なに}が起{お}こったかを見{っみ}ておきます。 「調{ちょう}」という漢字{かんじ}は、元来{がんらい}、「しらべる」よりも「ととのう」「ととのえる」というニュアンスが強{つよ}い漢字{かんじ}と思{おも}われます。漢和{かんわ}辞典{じてん}で「調{ちょう}」という漢字{かんじ}を引{ひ}くと、「ととのう」「全体{ぜんたい}のバランス」と言{い}うような意味{いみ}や、そこから派生{はせい}した意味{いみ}がたくさん載{の}っており、「しらべる」を圧倒{あっとう}しています。「調{ちょう}」を含{ふく}む熟語{じゅくご}(調整{ちょうせい}・調理{ちょうり}・調和{ちょうわ}・調度品{ちょうどひん}…)などを見{み}ても、大部分{だいぶぶん}は、「ととのう」「ととのえる」という意味{いみ}です。「調査{ちょうさ}」と言{い}う熟語{じゅくご}があるにはありますが、「調査{ちょうさ}」の「色々{いろいろ}材料{ざいりょう}を吟味{ぎんみ}・判定{はんてい}する」という意味{いみ}は、むしろ、漢字{かんじ}「査{さ}」に由来{ゆらい}する物{もの}と見{み}ることができそうです。 そして、大昔{おおむかし}の日本人{にほんじん}は、「調{ちょう}」という漢字{かんじ}に出会{であ}ったとき、「調{ちょう}=ととのう」と言{い}う意味{いみ}が、ヤマトコトバの「しらぶ」「しらべ」に一致{いっち}すると考{かんが}え、「調{ちょう}」の訓{くん}読{よ}みに、「しらぶ」「しらべ」を当{あ}てたのでしょう。

まとめると、
「しらべる」は、「楽器{がっき}の調子{ちょうし}を整{ととの}える」こそが本来{ほんらい}の意味{いみ}であり、「調査{ちょさ}する」はそこから派生{はせい}した意味{いみ}なのです。「音楽{おんがく}」「調子{ちょうし}の整{ととの}った音色{ねいろ}」という意味{いみ}の「しらべ」は、本来{ほんらい}の意味{いみ}を強{つよ}く残{のこ}した表現{ひょうげん}と言{い}えます。

Free translation At first, the word 「verb しらぶ(old Japanese pronunciation)」had a meaning of "to tune a musical instrument", and 「nounしらべ」 had a meaning of "sounds made by a tuned musical instrument." After that, 「しらぶ」 got a meaning of "to compare various materials and examine them closely" derived from the original meaning of "to tune a musical instrument." And at last, it has come to have a meaning of "to investigateしらべる".

参考:日本国語大辞典・岩波古語辞典・改定新版漢字源

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.