Facts

1. The noun はなし can be written 話 or 話し.
  2. In colloquial contexts, you can omit 「を」 from 話{はなし}をする, making it 話{はなし}する.
  3. There is also a 五段 verb, 話す{はなす}.
  4. The continuative (連用形) form of both 話する and 話す can look like 話し.

The problem

From the facts, you can collect 3 words that look exactly the same but have a different meaning (grammatical function). You can probably rule out the noun 話し with the help of context, but you still have either 話し{はなしし} or 話{はな}し.

The question

How can I know when which one is meant? Or does it make such a big difference that I should even care?

Some examples:

• 話しながら…
  • 何人に話した?
  • 明日お話します。← This must be する because of お-?
  • 彼は大声で話した。
    All your examples look like 話す to me except the 3rd. – Blavius Apr 11 '17 at 0:10

In modern standard Japanese, はなし as a noun is always written as 話, without し. This rule is taught at school today and is fairly strict, although you may see exceptions in old documents. As a verb, はなす is written with okurigana.

話 is not a suru-verb. You usually need a direct object marker を when it's used with する.

シンデレラの話【はなし】する。 (話 is a noun)

はなしして and はなしした can appear in two situations:

1. When はなし is a noun and the following を is omitted because it's a casual sentence.

ママ、シンデレラの話【はなし】して! (話 is a noun)

2. As part of a humble expression お + masu-stem + する.

本日は、世界の童話についてお話【はな】ししていきます。

To distinguish, first note that omission of を after 話 can appear only in fairly casual conversations. And looking at the modifiers will usually tell whether it's used as a noun or a verb. Unless 話 is clearly modified by an adjectival expression in a casual conversational sentence, you can assume 話して/話した is a verb. In your examples, 「話しながら」「何人に話した」「彼は大声で話した」 are theoretically ambiguous, but you can usually assume these はなし are verbs.

• 先生が楽しい話【はなし】してるよ! (a noun follows after 楽しい)
  • 先生は楽しく話【はな】している。 (a verb follows after 楽しく)

Humble おはなしします should be written as お話しします, because 話す is a verb in this construction (cf. お預かりします, お持ちしましょう). That means your third expression is grammatically wrong, although this mistake is found even among native speakers.

• Oh. So there were actually 4 situations where you could see 話し. 話し(n, old), 話し(v5, cont.), 話し(col. を omission, n+suru) and 話し(misspelling; v5, cont. + suru in teineigo, cont.). No wonder why I was confused. – siikamiika Apr 11 '17 at 6:27

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.