I have a sentence from page 39-108 of Lake and Ura's Learn to Read in Japanese.

食べてばかりいないで少し運動したほうがいいですよ

The book gives a somewhat inscrutable:

Eating only not being, it would be better to do a little exercise, for sure.

Google Translate gives the translation as:

You do not have to eat, you had better exercise a little

The second half of the sentence (運動したほうがいいですよ) is pretty straightforward; as I understand it from here, the first half of the sentence describes habitual eating. I don't know how it interacts with いないで.

~て + ばかりいる A verb in ~て form or a noun followed by ばかり means to do only that action or thing, or continuously do it, or to always (verb). This phrase is often used to disapprove of something.

勉強してばかりいる To do nothing but study.
走ってばかりいる To do nothing but run.

ないで means please do not (verb).

To combine both meanings:

勉強してばかりいる + ないで => 食べてばかりいないで

Which means, "please don't always just eat" or "please don't eat constantly."

For the record, ばかり could also be written ばっかり which means the same thing (but with more emphasis), and if it follows a verb in past tense, then it means that you have just finished doing that action.

食べたばかり・食べたばっかり = I just ate. (I just got done eating)

I thought the 〜しないで as a polite request not to do something only applied in the end of a sentence, implying 〜しないでください and the ないで here would be more like "without doing (something)" – siikamiika Apr 10 '17 at 18:33
    食べてばかりする doesn't make sense. – user4092 Apr 10 '17 at 22:21
    Yeah I guess you're right. I was just using it as an example but it should be replaced with いる it seems. – rgolden Apr 10 '17 at 22:24
    No, that would be wordy/awkward. – l'électeur Apr 11 '17 at 14:37
    解答の4行目のSo, 食べてばかりしないで means... は、「食べてばかりないで」の、単なるタイポではなかったのでしょうか・・・? 勉強して(い)る +ばかり→勉強ばかりして(い)る or 勉強してばかりいる 、 食べている +ばかり→食べてばかりいる (食べてばかりる is ungrammatical)、 食べていないで + ばかり→食べてばかりいないで (食べてばかりないで is ungrammatical) – Chocolate Apr 11 '17 at 23:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.