Apologies for the blurry image, I've been trying to identify a location in a relatives photo and this sign appears to be the only hint I have at it. I'm afraid my grasp of written Japanese isn't quite strong enough to understand it though, would anyone here be able to decipher it for me?

Sign

Isn't that a Google Maps street view screenshot? – siikamiika Apr 10 '17 at 14:41
  • I've got some talking to do with uncle then it appears. – John Smith Apr 10 '17 at 14:49
  • If your authority as somebody who understands some Chinese characters is on the line, you can tell that you saw 「天大橋」 and then you saw the (c)2015 Google watermark :P – siikamiika Apr 10 '17 at 14:54

It says:

天大橋{てんだいばし}

昭和{しょうわ}59年{ねん}12月竣工{がつしゅんこう}

meaning:

"Tendai Bridge"

"Completed in December, Year 59 of Showa" ← That is 1984.

The bridge seems to be located in the City of Satsuma-Sendai in Kagoshima Prefecture unless there is a bridge with the same name somewhere else.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.