I am on ch.82, pg.19 of Yotsubato! manga. enter image description here Source: http://raw.senmanga.com/Yotsubato!/82/19

What does 「やりすぎなほど」mean here ?

From what I know, 「ほど」 is used to express the extent of something and 「やりすぎ」 means overdoing/excessive etc., Does this translate to something like "Awesome!" ? Or does the literal translation mean something else?

Also, is the usage of「な」 here unconventional ? I have never really seen 「な」 used after noun so far (I am a beginner).

よつば: あのなー キツツキみたよ!You know what? I saw a woodpecker!

葉介: へー どんなだった?Really? What was it like?

よつば: きーつついてた!やりすぎなほど!It was pecking wood! Way too much (lit. to an extent that could be called overkill)!

The 「きーつついてた」 part, meaning the same as 「木をつついてた」, is a pun on 「キツツキ」.

「やりすぎなほど!」 is an additional comment to the previous pun. やりすぎ (overkill) is used as an adjective while it normally is just a verb-derived noun (do + too much). There is a similar question about the use of な after nouns here.

Note that it's perfectly grammatical to use な with na-adjectives like in ジョジョの奇妙{きみょう}な冒険{ぼうけん} (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure).

• I thought it was the other bug guy who said that circled sentence. Makes a lot more sense now ! Thanks ! I checked out that link before asking this question. Just wanted to confirm that it was in fact unconventional use and it is, like you said. I will accept this answer. – vadasambar Apr 10 '17 at 11:44
    「きーつついてた」 is a colloquial/childlike way of pronouncing 「木、つついてた」, meaning 「木をつついていた」. cf. 「はーぬけた!」(歯が抜けた), 「ちーでてるよ~」(血が出てるよ) – Chocolate Apr 10 '17 at 13:27
  • @Chocolate Thanks. Missed that one. I'll edit the answer – siikamiika Apr 10 '17 at 13:32
  • @retrazil Fixed some misinformation about my answer. See Chocolate's comment – siikamiika Apr 10 '17 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.