Recently went to buy some shirts to wear at work, I exercise a lot (cardio, weight-training and calisthenics) so I have pretty large shoulders and a (smaller? regular?) waist.

I tried explaining that I'm an "inverted triangle" body type and was told something called "Y体", at first I thought it made sense but when I tried them on, the ones that fit my waist I couldn't even get my forearms into, and the ones that fit my shoulders and arms were like 1.5 times the size of my waist, came to the conclusion that this "Y体" is just a "rectangle" body type (why it's called "Y" beats me...).

How would I explain an "inverted triangle" body type in Japanese?

• @muru 「店員」Yeah, totally got that mixed up! lol Will fix it. Thanx – Y12K Apr 10 '17 at 3:53
  • Were those "Y" shirts just normal dress shirts? Because dress shirts are called ワイシャツ in Japanese (thought not 「Y型」). Note that the ワイ here comes from "white" and not the letter "Y". – Jimmy Apr 10 '17 at 17:38

The literal translation, 逆【ぎゃく】三角形【さんかっけい】(型【がた】)(の体型/ボディー) makes perfect sense (逆三角形 体型 on Y! image search).

I have no idea what a Y型のボディー is (it may be jargon used by someone, though).

• Sorry, maybe should have used「Y体型」in my question... – Y12K Apr 10 '17 at 4:32
  • Thanx I'll try 逆三角形 next time. – Y12K Apr 10 '17 at 4:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.