What's the meaning of ポンポンしている in the following sentence? Context: a girl is touching his friend's boxing gloves and then says:

へーなんかポンポンしててカワイー

Of all the meanings I found on dictionaries (cheerleaders' pom-poms as a noun, bang-bang, one after another, outspokenly as adverbs/onomatopoeia) none seems to fit the context. Could it mean that they are soft like cheerleaders' pom-poms, and therefore cute (even though I don't think boxing gloves are that soft)? Thank you for your help!

I think it's just a sort of "onomatopoeia" saying they're puffy and padded. – rgolden Apr 8 '17 at 23:05
  • Or popping-hopping cute. – user20428 Apr 9 '17 at 4:17

In this context, 「ぽんぽん/ポンポン」 would mean "plump". It has absolutely nothing to do with "pom-poms".

「ポンポンしている」=「ふくれている」 or 「ふっくらしている」

「ぱんぱん」 would be a synonym.

To comment on your question title, we do not really say 「ポンポンする」; We say「ポンポンしている」.

ポンポン is pong-pong or pompon.

It's one of onomatopoeia and mimetic words like ping-pong or ding-dong or tick-tack.

Sounds like bouncy like this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.