sorry, I am curious about what does this japanese symbol represents. It's from the latest Kong's movie, Skull Island , and I believ it is taken from the fight airplane of a japanese pilot during second world war.

Thanks in advanceenter image description here

• looks like お or よ + some line – siikamiika Apr 8 '17 at 16:42
    Hmm doesn't really look like a Japanese (or Chinese) character... – Chocolate Apr 8 '17 at 17:01
  • む or た. I'm a Tokyo native. I don't think it's a Japanese letter – Kenji Noguchi Apr 8 '17 at 17:51
  • If anything it looks like た to me. – Blavius Apr 8 '17 at 20:26

It is not a Japanese symbol or character including Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji. I think that the movie producer wanted to express Japanese exoticism and independently designed the symbol or character similar to Japanese imaginary symbol or character.

To me it looks like the symbol む (mu) which could be relevant if it was on a fighter plane. I say this because 'mu' also 無 which represents 'nothingness' in buddhism seems to me something a Japanese pilot may have written on their plane in the war. Not very well explained but I hope you get my gist.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.