What's the difference between the particles に、and まで? And what does it mean when combined to make までに?

I've been quite confused as to what these two mean. And I was hoping someone could compare the two to help me understand.

closed as off-topic by l'électeur, macraf, Chocolate, Questioner, 永劫回帰 Apr 9 '17 at 10:35

• This question does not appear to be about the Japanese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

First I guess it would be good to plainly lay out what the two mean.

に can be used to mean "to (a destination)", the precise time of an even (3時 at 3 o'clock) attached to a verb in stem form to mean "to do that thing (見行った went (there) to watch (it)) as well as some other cases.

So, it's something like "to" or "at" or "in" etc.

まで is a little simpler. It basically means "until". Whether it's talking about until a certain time, or until a certain state.

When they are combined I believe in most situations it is just that they are being attached to the same word at the same time.

その日までに提出してください。 Please submit it by that day.

It's like saying "up to and on that day", or maybe "up to and including".

In this case, it just so happens we can translate it as one word, "by".

This can be done with other particles too. では には にも かも までも etc.

These can also often be translated as a single word.

In some cases, the second particle makes the first unnecessary so it gets deleted essentially. You wouldn't say 私がも just 私も for example.

• I didn't actually know the 見に行った thing... cool! – Tirous Apr 8 '17 at 6:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.