Recently, I was replying to a comment on YouTube. I wrote this:

でも、「 ラットが死んだ」と「レッド・パージ!!!」が知名そうです

(But, Rats Died (a particular song) and Red Purge!!! (another song title) seem to be well-known.)

What I really wanted to say was that only those two songs were well-known. Is it okay to just do this:

でも、「 ラットが死んだ」と「レッド・パージ!!!」だけが知名そうです

or is that not correct? And what other ways can you say "only /a list of objects/" instead of only just one thing?

Thank you!

• seems ok to me, but using しか would feel more natural I think. – stack reader Apr 7 '17 at 0:26

As far as grammar is concerned, it is perfectly grammatical to say:

「A B だけが~~~です。」

You might, however, want to remember that native speakers do not use 「だけ」 nearly as often as Japanese-learners do to say these things. The sentence pattern that is commonly used by native speakers would instead be:

「A と B しか / だけしか / 以外{いがい}は + negative expression」

The first expression using 「だけ」 could sound "translated", meaning that it could sound unnatural at times if not always.

(Funny thing is that a sentence using 「しか」, which must be followed by a negative expression, would often sound more positive as a sentence than a sentence using 「だけ」 followed by an adjective, verb, etc. with a very positive meaning.)

The mistake in your sentence that actually stands out even more is the phrase 「知名{ちめい}そうです」, which makes little to no sense. Again, it was "translated", was it not? The phrases I might suggest would be 「有名{ゆうめい}なようです」、「よく知{し}られているようです」, etc. If you used 「しか」, those phrases would need to be turned into their negative forms.

The sentence I would recommend would be:

「でも、『ラットが死んだ』と『レッド・パージ!!!』しかあまり知られていないようです(ね)。」

The sentence that is 100% grammatical but would not necessarily be recommendable would be:

「でも、『ラットが死んだ』と『レッド・パージ!!!』だけが有名なようです(ね)。」

• Sorry this is late! Anyways, thank you for your help. Is そう only used with things that "look like they are about to?" I thought そう could just mean "seeming," but is that not correct? – Smoothie Apr 11 '17 at 21:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.