How often does gairaigo get bikago?

おトイレ is mentioned by Wiktionary, and Wikipedia mentions it being used ironically in o-kokakōra, but I haven't come across any others.

One case where its absence is noticeable is referring to someone else's partner as a パートナー without an お before it (or a さん afterwards, for that matter)

Are there any words other than トイレ that often get お (apart from in the speech of teenage girls)?

3 Answers 3

Some people use おコーヒー. Both おトイレ and おコーヒー sound like words used in a certain idiolect to me, and their use is not limited to teenage girls, but I do not know exactly what kind of people use these words.

I feel that socially high-class madams use them, and these words are also 役割語 for such people. For example, it's likely to be used by スネ夫's mother.
    – user458
    Feb 2, 2012 at 16:01
    @sawa: Is "high-class madams" a euphemism?
    – Golden Cuy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:17
  • @AndrewGrimm For what?
    – user458
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:37
  • @sawa: Either an up-market prostitute, or a woman who runs a brothel.
    – Golden Cuy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:52
    @AndrewGrimm No. Far from that. I don't understand why take it like that. Judging from your other questions, I think you are thinking that kind of things too much in the context of Japanese. In several of your questions, you mention sexual things, genital, or prostitution.
    – user458
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:53

おタバコ is heard all the time when restaurant staff asks you if you need a seat where you can smoke.

おタバコはお吸いになりますか Do you smoke?

おビール, おソース, おタオル I've heard as well, but less often.

I would say that 美化語 on 外来語 is not a phenomenon correlated with teenage girls, on the contrary. It strikes me as something that mainly elder women say when trying to sound elegant, although that is an obvious generalization.

• +1, but choosing Tsuyoshi Ito's answer, mainly because caffeine rather than nicotine is my drug of choice.
    – Golden Cuy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:21

Bikago does not seem to have much relation with gairaigo. I think what you really meant is "how often are gairaigo used as euphemism?" From your examples, I feel that. And if that is your question, I think the answer is, quite often.

• What do you mean by euphemism? I thought euphemism means using a vague word or phrase rather than a more specific one.
    – Golden Cuy
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:14
    A gairaigo is not as familiar as native Japanese words to the Japanese speaking people, so it does not carry negative connotations as much.
    – user458
    Feb 4, 2012 at 10:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .