I have a document in an old version of a template, and I'm moving the contents into a newer version of the template. I typically describe this process as "upgrading" the document.

Jisho suggests バージョンアップ, but I'm hoping to find a native term, something that's not technology-specific but rather describes the more general process of moving content from an old format to a new format, which I assume is an action that would have been defined in Japanese bureaucracy long before the introduction of digital word processing.

Why do you want specifically a native term? What's wrong with バージョンアップ? Just that it's a borrowed word? Apr 6, 2017 at 14:49
  • What do you mean by "format"? Does it change appearance or other editorial features? Apr 6, 2017 at 14:58
  • @IgorSkochinsky, yes, I'm looking for a term that describes the process more generally that would encompass both modern and traditional content management systems, including systems that were developed pre-Westernization.
    – sigil
    Apr 6, 2017 at 18:22
    @IgorSkochinsky, this came up for me specifically in a programming context: "Write a program to upgrade all the v1 documents in the folder to v2", which probably could use バージョンアップ, but I always try to use a native word over a loanword whenever I'm dealing with a concept that would have existed prior to the introduction of the loanword.
    – sigil
    Apr 6, 2017 at 21:06
    @sigil Then I'd say 形式を改める or something because it doesn't involve content changes. If you say 更新 or バージョンアップ I think I'm going to look for where the wording has been altered. Apr 7, 2017 at 5:24

1 Answer 1

Usually, 更新{こうしん} is used to mean update/upgrade.

Following l'électeur's remark you might be interested in 改{あらた}める which is not sino-loanword but a native Japanese word as far as I know.

Is 「更新」 a native Japanese word? I thought it was a Sino-loanword.
    – user4032
    Apr 5, 2017 at 23:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .