My gf loves me wearing striped shirts, as I'm not a skinny person (Japanese standard skinny, stateside I'm skin and bone) they naturally make me look fat!

She always says "ボーダーが好き" and I always think "No, I hate the the (Mexican/Canadian/Any border! ...Tijuana is dope though!)

Why ボーダー? Why not ストライプ or something?

She said 「ボーダー」, not "border", right? Those are two different things. When Japanese-speakers says 「プリン」, they refer to "flan" 99.9% of the time, not "pudding". – l'électeur Apr 5 '17 at 14:50
  • Why can't translations be 1=いち... lol – Y12K Apr 5 '17 at 14:57
  • @keepkun I don't know vertical striped shirts. – Takahiro Waki Apr 5 '17 at 15:23
    Another example that makes me wonder more and more why Japanese people love katakanizing everything instead of using more classical Japanese words. How about just 縦線 and 横線.. or why not using the kanji 縞 to make up a word? I actually think 縞々 means just "striped". – Tommy Apr 6 '17 at 6:12
    @Tommy Try think what "horizontal stripes" would be in Japanese? よこしま? – broccoli forest Apr 6 '17 at 15:17

ストライプ vs. ボーダー

=

Vertical Stripes vs. Horizontal Stripes

Until about two decades ago, both were called 「ストライプ」. Then, the fashion industry people invented the name 「ボーダー」 to refer to "horizontal stripes" as a buzzword to make it popular and did they ever succeed!

• So vertical "ストライプ"=ストライプ but horizontal "ストライプ"=ボーダー? – Y12K Apr 5 '17 at 15:01
  • They're both "stripes"! haha – Y12K Apr 5 '17 at 15:05
  • That's like calling a pink pig a pig and calling a light pink pig something else... – Y12K Apr 5 '17 at 15:08
    keepkun, or rather like calling a pink pig a pig, but a hairy pig a boar, which is exactly what people are doing. I think that it's great that languages evolve and incorporate conveniences into them. With this you say "border" instead of the long and tedious "horizontal stripes" – bjorn Apr 5 '17 at 16:22
  • @Genos Meanwhile in China, a white horse isn't a horse. – broccoli forest Apr 6 '17 at 15:15

ボーダー is a strange word used for a trend fashion among of jevenile, young and middle age generations.

And I have no idea why this is also a border dress... enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.