Just a simple question, which one has the closest meaning of soulmate, 運命の人 or 心の友? Are they interchangeable in Japanese?

運命の人 is used exclusively to refer to a romantic partner or (future) spouse with a lifelong bond with you. 心の友 is used to refer to a close friend, typically of the same sex, as the kanji suggests. They are not interchangeable at all in Japanese.

運命の人 is a relatively common phrase. On the other hand, 心の友 is rare except that a manga character ジャイアン uses this often. When I hear 心の友, I can't help recalling the character, and I believe many native Japanese speakers are like me. See image search results for 心の友. Some online glossaries define this as a ジャイアン語 ("Jaian-ese") term.

• Is there anything you're aware of involving 意気投合? Like maybe 意気投合の者 or something? – istrasci Apr 5 '17 at 15:39
  • @istrasci I don't think so. It's almost always used as a (suru-)verb. – naruto Apr 6 '17 at 15:44
  • Thank you very much @naruto. I first heard 心の友 from Itsuwa Mayumi (五輪 真弓) song. Now I also recall hearing it too from Jaian-Doraemon as you mentioned. – Yuuta Takanashi Apr 7 '17 at 3:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.