Looking up the words "standard" and "conventions" in Google Translate gives me multiple translations (as both words do have multiple meanings I pretty much expected that).

Using the following definitions of standard and convention, what kanji(s) are used:

Standard: something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example

Convention: a way in which something is usually done, especially within a particular area or activity.

How would you say/write "coding standard" or "coding conventions"? (Am aware "coding" is just "コーディング". lol)

The primary word for standard is 標準 and the primary word for convention is 慣習. But there are many possible expressions.

• コーディング標準: This refers to established, widely-known, authoritative and named standards. 標準 is a word that sounds highly technical. HTML Standard is HTML標準.
  • コーディングスタンダード: The same as 標準. In the programming field it's often best to leave many words untranslated, you know :)
  • コーディング規約: This can include more local ones like "Coding Style of XYZ Project/Company". Still this sounds you have to consider it a rule.
  • コーディングスタイルガイド: Sounds less strict than 規約; it's not a rule but a guideline. How strictly you have to follow the guideline depends on the project.
  • コーディングの慣習: Coding convention, which may even be undocumented.
  • Excellent explanation! Thanx! (I take it you work in tech too. lol) – Y12K Apr 5 '17 at 5:31

Standard coding = 標準的記述法
Conventional coding = 慣例的記述法

e.g. regex is translated 正規表現

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.