my college product line for next year is currently called Tomodachi. however because someone owns this word in the USA I was hoping to find something similar. Americans really like the 'dachi' part so it would be ideal if it had dachi in it. do people still use mabudachi? is there something similar? these mascots (120 of them) are all friends but also rivals. is there any Japanese word that makes sense? any help would be greatly appreciated. my Nihongo is long gone from my days in Tokyo in 82/83. here is what the characters look like again. Thanks.

• Not a dachi-ending word but, how about nakamatachi? – 永劫回帰 Apr 4 '17 at 16:52
  • maybe one vowel too long.. tachi ending is fine though. – David Gormley Apr 4 '17 at 17:07
  • 友人たち maybe? yūjintachi – Sweeper Apr 4 '17 at 20:37

do people still use mabudachi?

mabudachi is old word. It used about 20 years ago by high school gang. But many Japanese still know that word.

Usage of a phrase 'dachi' has slightly high school gang atmosphere. ダチ公(dachi-ko) has same meaning with dachi.

Now (last 3 months) nice animation けものフレンズ had broadcasted widely in Japan. Many anime fan use the word フレンズ(friends) on twitter, so I think フレンズ may good for you.

| improve this answer | |
  • in the usa the more 'japanese' the word sounds the more authentic it will be perceived. so friends wont work. I need something that ends in dachi or something that sounds Japanese. its hard but I am trying to find something that is good in japan and in usa.. thanks – David Gormley Apr 5 '17 at 3:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.