In English the word "manga" is used to refer to Japanese comics. I would like to know if this word is similar to "anime", where westerns use it only for "Japanese" animation (in a broad sense since several "Japanese" animations are produced in Japan but animated on Korea or other country) or does it mean comics in general? Is a fanfic japanese comic a "manga" or does it have to be paid and officially released to be "manga"?

漫画/マンガ in Japanese is close to comic in English. It's a generic term that safely includes, for example, Peanuts and Spider-Man. It doesn't have to be released commercially, and even a 10-year-old boy can draw 漫画. It usually consists of many pages and frames (コマ), but when a picture has a balloon and a "story", people sometimes call it a (1コマ)漫画.

アニメ also is a word that includes foreign cartoons such as Disney's movies.

• Very interesting how the word アニメ includes any cartoon then in other cultures refers to japanese cartoons because the word itself is japanese. I think it's the same with 刀 and other words about swords. I'll do a topic about it if there isn't any yet. – Destal Apr 1 '17 at 23:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.