This question already has an answer here:

Here's the sentence :

さてと・・・それじゃあ捜査を始めるとしようか。

I would have understood if the sentence was : "さてと・・・それじゃあ捜査を始めよう", but I don't understand the rest of the sentence. Is "としよう" some kind of grammar ?

As for the context, the characters were just about to investigate a murder.

Thank you.

marked as duplicate by Chocolate, l'électeur grammar Apr 1 '17 at 14:34

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• This カ is just か spelt weirdly, by the way. – Aeon Akechi Mar 30 '17 at 16:18
    Related (duplicate?): japanese.stackexchange.com/q/34137/5010 – naruto Mar 30 '17 at 16:21
  • Yes, I figured that much - the character is always using katakana when using end particles such as ヨ orネ, haha. – Ushiromiya Mar 30 '17 at 16:21
  • @naruto So, to my understanding, it is used when one decides to do something, right ? It is kind of hard for me to understand that concept, though. Thank you, anyway ! – Ushiromiya Mar 30 '17 at 17:05

捜査を始めよう means "Let's start the investigation", but 捜査を始めるとしようか means something more along the lines of "should we try and start the investigation", basically. It's along the lines of ~ようとする・~ようにする

食べようとする I'm about to eat. (I'm going to try to eat) (Maybe you don't have a lot of time or something.)(attempt to do something)

食べるようにする I will try to eat. (Try to eat something you don't like, or maybe you're sick)(non-momentum, or continuous conscious effort)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.