The person that said it was very animated and happy, but it sounded exactly like the word psycho. Thank you.

I have seen サイコパス(Saikopasu) for psychopath but never サイコ(saiko) alone. Definitely istrasci answer! – Felipe Oliveira Mar 29 '17 at 17:04
  • If I'm not very much mistaken, Saiko is a fairly common name in anime, if not in real life. Are you sure the one who spoke wasn't calling someone's name? – Steve-O Mar 29 '17 at 20:51
    @Steve-O I don't think are that many 'Saiko's, even in anime. – Aeon Akechi Mar 29 '17 at 23:18

[最高]{さい・こう} means "the highest/maximum/best/greatest".

| improve this answer | |

最{さい}高{こう}, or sometimes stylized サイコー, particularly as an interjection, is an expression of how fun / cool / enjoyable something is -- as was the case in your question.

However, as istrasci pointed out, in itself 最{さい}高{こう} means the superlative of some state.
Some examples: 最{さい}高{こう}級{きゅう} -- Highest grade / class / rank.
最{さい}高{こう}経{けい}営{えい}責{せき}任{にん}者{しゃ} -- Chief Executive Officer (literally the "highest person responsible for business administration").

最高(さいこう) is used exactly like "awesome" is used in American English. It is mostly used in spoken language, rarely in written language.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.