I'm a beginner learner, just learnt about なる and I'm curious about なる vs other verbs when it comes to adverbs.

When using an adverb like 早く on a verb, it modifies the action or manner of the verb. For eg, 早く飲む would mean "drink quickly", or "drink in a quick manner", or even "the act of drinking is quick". So as a generalisation, "Xに/Xく Yる" would mean "to Y X-ly", or "to do Y in a X manner".

That makes sense to me, so when I learnt about なる I was completely stumped. "早くなる" means "to become quick" but based on the above I would think it should be more along the lines of "to quickly become (something)" or, "to become (something) in a quick manner".

So my questions are really,

1. Why does なる seem to break the general adverb-verb behaviour?
  2. And what other verbs behave this way?

Feel free to correct any misassumptions or interpretations! Thanks in advance.

ps. I understand that "早くなる" just means this way, but I'm curious how the syntax works vs other verbs.

ps2. I can 'get' the logic of 'nounになる' and 'na-adjになる' because the に here is similar to the に particle as in '彼にあげる'. It's really just the i-adj that confuses me.

• In this case one wouldn't think of 早く as an adverb but rather a conjugation of 早い the adjective. When it's adjective with い swapped by く followed by なる, it always means "to become [this adjective]"; however, if you insert something else between the two, e.g., 早く大人になる, that means "to become an adult quickly". I guess it depends on what immediately comes before なる. – xyzjayne Mar 29 '17 at 16:20
  • に may not be the particle: both it and -く for i-adjectives may be inflections. Cf. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Middle_Japanese#Adjectives – Mathieu Bouville Feb 20 at 6:54

It looks to me, if I understand your question correctly, as though you may be overthinking this. The basic rule is:

The く ("adverbial") form of an い adjective followed by なる means "become [whatever the adjective means]" - although, of course, this is not always the best way to translate it.

For example:

大きくなる become big, grow bigger

高くなる become high, grow taller, become more expensive

赤くなる become red, go red, redden, blush

青くなる become blue or green, turn blue, go green, [of a person's face] go pale

暑くなる become hot, get hotter

美しくなる become beautiful

Remember that for the purposes of inflection the ない and たい forms of verbs are in effect い adjectives, and use this pattern. In these cases the sense is exactly parallel, although because of the vagaries of English, they have to be handled differently when translating.

For example:

行かない I don't go 行かなくなった ["It became that I don't go"=] I stopped going there, I don't go there any more

読みたい I want to read 読みたくなった ["It became that I want to read it"=] I conceived a desire to read it, I decided (having seen an enthusiastic review of the book) that I'd like to read it

おもしろくない It's not interesting おもしろくなくなった ["It became not interesting"=] It ceased to be interesting, I lost interest in it

死にたい I want to die 死にたくない I don't want to die 死にたくなくなった ["It became that I do not want to die"=] I ceased to want to die, [Having reviewed the circumstances of my life again] I decided that I didn't want to die after all.

歩く walk 歩ける can walk 歩けない cannot walk 歩けなくなった ["It became that he cannot walk"=] He ceased to be able to walk, He lost the ability to walk

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.