According to this question the volitional form of i-adjectives is used quite often -- on a daily basis. But I almost never hear it. I almost see it exclusively in books (or written documents). And if it would be used in a dialogue it would almost always be used by a man.

On the other hand, I hear quite often adj-i+でしょう.

So my question is the ~かろう form that much used?

I don't agree with the answer you've selected at all. I hear it a lot in anime, but I do not think it's common to hear in real life. I think adj+だろう or でしょう is far more common. – Kurausukun Mar 28 '17 at 20:59

This form is classified as modern 口語 (as opposed to 文語), but it sounds old-fashioned nevertheless. It's not something we hear every day. We mostly see this form in fictional old person's speech (like in the original question) or in a few fixed expressions like 安かろう悪かろう. よかろう is often used by a pompous, old and/or noble person in fiction. If someone around you used よかろう in reality, it's likely to be a joke.

By the way, is that form really called the "volitional" form while the meaning is ~だろう? It appears similar to 行こう/見よう/食べよう, but the meaning is totally different.

• "If someone around you used よかろう in reality, it's likely to be a joke." That is quite reassuring, thank you. || As I understand, "volitional form" means ~よう. For sure, the よう 助動詞 is not always about volition (as in this question) but it is usually called "volition form" even though. – 永劫回帰 Mar 29 '17 at 0:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.