Apartments and buildings have bars placed on them outside of the windows and I wanted to know what they are called. Thank you.

2 Answers 2


If you mean something like this, it's called 手【て】すり or specifically 窓手すり (for preventing an accidental fall):

enter image description here

格子 looks like this (for preventing an escape or invasion):

enter image description here


「格子{こうし}」 would be the generic word.

Use 「鉄格子{てつごうし}」 if they are made of iron.

Use 「アルミ格子{ごうし}」 if they are made of aluminum.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .