I saw a dakuten used on a る, but it doesn't seem to exist in basic rules. My assumption is it's some sort of slang or implied definition as opposed to "proper" Japanese (it was in a manga). Does anyone know the meaning?

• Do you have a source? It seems highly unlikely that dakuten was on a る character – Dimokratis Mar 27 '17 at 8:38
    It could be this, but you saw dakuten only with る? Wasn't that dakuten characters in a row, like this one? – naruto Mar 27 '17 at 8:57

Japanese is a highly "playable" language both in spoken and written forms.

「る゛」 would just ”mean” the same thing as the regular 「る」 but with some kind of emphasis, exclamation, emotionality, etc. intended by the author added. As a manga reader, you can pronounce 「る゛」 as 「る」 because there is no "official pronunciation" for 「る゛」.

This can be said about any kana with 「゛」 found in manga, excluding the ones that actually exist in regular writing.

Here, the hero shouts 「ゆ゛る゛さ゛ん゛!!」 and that is 「許{ゆる}さん!!」 ("Unacceptable!!") said emphatically.

enter image description here

Just found this; Talk about emotionality. "I've got friends!!!!"

enter image description here

• While the pronunciation doesn't change, the sound does. The dakuten indicate vibration of the vocal cords (か unvoiced, が same sound voiced; true for all standard and dakuten pairs). This usage in manga is related to that concept. In the 仮面ライダー example, it's being said with a growl. In the One Piece example, it's being said with such force that the voice "breaks" getting that "r" rolled in the throat effect (sorry don't know how else to describe it). How the sound changes comes from context. If you know what I mean and add it to your answer I think it would be very complete for future readers. – By137 May 18 '18 at 15:05
  • I immediately think of a robotic voice, like the Great Fox (R.O.B.?) in the Star Fox series. – istrasci May 18 '18 at 15:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.