Is 随時{ずいじ} used to express anytime like いつでも?

Exactly.

「随時」 looks and sounds more formal and/or academic than 「いつでも」, which is quite informal.

This answer is wrong. the terms have different nuances and it's not just a formality issue. – paullb Mar 27 '17 at 14:05

The words are actually quite different in their nuances: (and consequently not interchangeable)

• 随時 - as required (e.g. 随時更新します - I will update as required (as things change))
  • いつでも - at any time (e.g. いつでも来てください - Come whenever you like)
    +1. 隋時 implies that there are many small requests/tasks which are served as they came. You cannot use 随時 for a one-time event. – naruto Mar 27 '17 at 1:36
  • I believe 随時 has two senses: 1) at any time 2) as needed. My question was about the first sense, therefore l'électeur(japanese.stackexchange.com/users/4032/l%c3%a9lecteur) answer is the most appropriate. – user1602 Mar 28 '17 at 18:21
    @user1602 If you already knew the answer then why did you ask this question? 随時 does not mean at any time and cannot be used to reference a one time event as Naruto correctly pointed out. The consensus is clear that this answer is correct. – paullb Mar 28 '17 at 23:59
  • I was skeptical about the answer, and wanted a native Japanese speaker to confirm the JMDict translation. Obviously you do not trust l'électeur, so to confirm his answer I had to struggle with my limited Japanese to understand Goo 辞書 dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/all/%E9%9A%8F%E6%99%82/m1u and it looks like one of the senses is 好きな時にいつでも, which very close to "anytime", and by the way, anytime does not imply one time - I don't know where this came from. – user1602 Mar 29 '17 at 1:48
    L'electeur provides many great answers, but on this particular occasion he is incorrect. I checked your link at it says "適宜" (as appropriate) and 定期的でないこと (irregularly). These terms are not interchangeable and they have different nuances. As I said, the consensus is clearly on this answer yet you seem very invested in the other answer. – paullb Mar 29 '17 at 2:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.