Supposing I wanted to say "I see the fireworks at the summer festival". Would this be:

夏{なつ}祭{まつ}り花{はな}火{び}を見{み}ます。

or

夏祭り花火を見ます。

If both are correct, how does the meaning differ between each?

Yes, both are correct.

The differences are:

1. 夏祭りに花火を見ます This is a regular phrase for "I'll watch the fireworks at the summer festival."
  2. 夏祭りで花火を見ます This would stress at. It has a nuance that "I have many chances to watch the fireworks but I will watch them at the summer festival."

Both are correct, but my reasoning will differ from @S.Wakisaka's.

「夏祭り花火を見る」 treats the summer festival as a spatial point (location) for watching fireworks.

「夏祭り花火を見る」 treats the summer festival as a temporal point (timing) for watching fireworks.

Starting around 0:25 in the video below, hear this singer say 「秋祭{あきまつ}り買{か}った指輪{ゆびわ}、小指{こゆび}にしています」.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdlj7fXtFyg

• This explanation is very interesting and very true, although 祭り is a word that specifies time and place, but 休み only does time. It's worth to know. 〜に & 〜で these postpositional particles have many variations of usages. I guess, the question implies the difference of ベッドで寝る and ベッドに寝る, this example is clear to lead my answer. – user20428 Mar 26 '17 at 6:37
    ^ The 休み was clearly just a typo, you know... It's been corrected. And, the difference of に and で in ベッドに寝る/ベッドで寝る is quite different from that of に and で in 秋祭りに見る/秋祭りで見る. You'd say 秋祭り見た as a response to "When did you see~~?" and 秋祭り見た to "Where did you see ~~?", no? – Chocolate Mar 26 '17 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.