According to romanjidesu.com, "っぺ" is a familiar suffix used after a personal name. What level of relationship is necessary to use this? Is this similar with adding -y in the name of the person? Example: Mike -> Mikey?

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about English language not Japanese. – macraf Mar 25 '17 at 9:38

I would be shocked if there were an English equivalent of 「っぺ」.

The closest (which is not even so close) that I could think of would be "-ie", "-y", etc. with which you just add an extra vowel to a name or nickname.

What is strikingly different in Japanese name suffixes is the fact that they add whole new consonants as well as vowels -- 「っぺ」、「たん」、「ぴー」、「ぴょん」, etc.

I would imagine that an English speaker would feel more than strange if someone called him with an whole new extra syllable attached to his name instead of just "-ie" or "-y". I would not even know how you would decide on what new consonants to use.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you very much. That's something new that I'm adding to my list of suffixes to remember. Thanks. :) – Karen88 Mar 25 '17 at 10:30
    Well, actually, we have a diminutive suffix '-kins' in English, but it's not as common as 'y/ie'. – Aeon Akechi Apr 2 '17 at 3:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.