According to romanjidesu.com, "っぺ" is a familiar suffix used after a personal name. What level of relationship is necessary to use this? Is this similar with adding -y in the name of the person? Example: Mike -> Mikey?

closed as off-topic by macraf, Dono, Blavius, stack reader, 永劫回帰 Mar 28 '17 at 20:24

• This question does not appear to be about the Japanese language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about English language not Japanese. – macraf Mar 25 '17 at 9:38

I would be shocked if there were an English equivalent of 「っぺ」.

The closest (which is not even so close) that I could think of would be "-ie", "-y", etc. with which you just add an extra vowel to a name or nickname.

What is strikingly different in Japanese name suffixes is the fact that they add whole new consonants as well as vowels -- 「っぺ」、「たん」、「ぴー」、「ぴょん」, etc.

I would imagine that an English speaker would feel more than strange if someone called him with an whole new extra syllable attached to his name instead of just "-ie" or "-y". I would not even know how you would decide on what new consonants to use.

• Thank you very much. That's something new that I'm adding to my list of suffixes to remember. Thanks. :) – Karen88 Mar 25 '17 at 10:30
    Well, actually, we have a diminutive suffix '-kins' in English, but it's not as common as 'y/ie'. – Aeon Akechi Apr 2 '17 at 3:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.