I have this paragraph:

2016年度東京スポーツ新聞社制定プロレス大賞技能賞に輝いた新日本プロレスのケニー・オメガ(33)が8日、深刻な“燃え尽き症候群”に陥り、悩める胸中を明かした。

I know that "2016年度東京スポーツ新聞社制定プロレス大賞技能賞に輝いた新日本プロレスの" is modifying ケニー・オメガ but I'm not sure how to parse it since I don't know how 制定 fits here. The only thing I know is that ケニー・オメガ was the recipient of the 2016年度東京スポーツプロレス大賞技能賞 but he didn't attend the awards because of depression

You can use the following parsing:

2016年度 [[[東京スポーツ新聞社][制定した]][プロレス大賞技能賞に輝いた]][新日本プロレスのケニー・オメガ(33)]が[8日、深刻な“燃え尽き症候群”に陥り、悩める胸中を明かした。]

I emphasized what has been omitted. You could translate literally the whole as

Kenny Omega (33 y.o.) who shone at the pro-race great prize, which was established by the Tokyo Sports Newspaper Agency, revealed on the eighth of this month that he has been really depressed, and expressed his troubles.

The translation is very far from perfect but it should be enough to give you an idea.

• Is it normal to omit some particles or verbs in news articles? I know that they do it for headlines and sometimes the introductory part but I don't know if they do it for the article itself too – Jon Mar 22 '17 at 20:41
    @Jon If the meaning can "easily" be reconstructed particles may be dropped. I do not read much news so I can't tell you whether this is often or not. But I would not be surprised to hear that it is common. – 永劫回帰 Mar 22 '17 at 20:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.