Xは、この学校で日本語を勉強したんだって

Is this the -te form of the copula? Haven't encountered it so far.

• It is an indirect form: this is a real useful article on this topic in my opinion maggiesensei.com/2012/05/07/… In this particular sentence, you use って to indicate that you have heard (from X him/herself) that X studied Japanese language in school. Edit: also, this is the form here 勉強したんだ (article: maggiesensei.com/2010/09/08/… ) In the construction (~)って – Eva Mar 22 '17 at 0:17
  • Oops I can't edit my comment anymore, but what I meant to say was that the sentence also has the grammar (verb)-んだ and that I thought maybe that article might also be of use. – Eva Mar 22 '17 at 0:25

って is used as a quotative particle in casual speech. See: と、て、って Quoting Particle Usage

A sentence can sometimes end with と/って, and it usually means "I heard ~" or "They say ~". So you can think that 言ってた or 聞いた is omitted after it.

The sentence means "I heard X learned Japanese at this school."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.