what is prefer in Japanese ? an example of the context is:

I'd rather not to drink inside the bus.

おすすめ is recommend in Japanese. how would you use おすすめ in this context?

it is recommended not to buy that bag.

Although I'm not a native English speaker, I think your sentence is ill-formed. I can understand I'd rather not drink inside the bus and I prefer not to drink inside the bus, but you mixed both in a sentence that sounds like you prefer to prefer or want to prefer, which is probably a mistake, right? – Pedro A Mar 22 '17 at 14:10
  • If you want to say "thank you in advance", it's よろしくお願いします. – broken laptop Mar 23 '17 at 4:10
  • @Hamsteriffic thank you for correcting my mistake ! I had noticed that I had formed an incorrect sentence as well ! – Charlie Brown Mar 29 '17 at 16:07
  • @brokenheadphones thank you for telling me ! – Charlie Brown Mar 29 '17 at 16:09
    A question is considered resolved when the asker accepts an answer, there is no need to edit the title to reflect that it is solved. – Flaw Mar 29 '17 at 16:21

what is prefer in Japanese ? an example of the context is:

"I'd rather prefer not to drink inside the bus."

You could use:

「Verb + nominalizer の + は + 好{す}きではない / 望{のぞ}まない」 to form:

「バスの中{なか}でものを飲{の}むのは好きではない。」

Or a little more naturally,

「バスの中でものを飲んだりするのは(あまり)好きではない。」

Next..

おすすめ is recommend in Japanese. how would you use おすすめ in this context?

"it is recommended not to buy that bag."

You could say:

「あのバッグを買{か}うのはおすすめできません。」

「あのバッグを買うのはおすすめではありません。」

Without using the verb 「買う」, you could also say:

「あのバッグはおすすめではありません。」

「あれはおすすめのバッグではありません。」

• Out of curiosity, why does the 飲んだりする construction instead of plain 飲む sound more natural? – Blavius Mar 30 '17 at 3:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.