I notice Japanese people squatting in this position for long periods of time without using a chair/stool. Thank you.

The most fitting verb for this that I can think of is しゃがむ, rarely written with kanji as 蹲む. Similar terms include かがむ and こごむ; however, these don't have the same sense of "squatting for long periods of time", and might better be translated as "to crouch [such as to pick something up, for かがむ; or to hide, for こごむ]".

In addition to Eiríkr Útlendi's answer, I just want to add some slang expressions: うんこ座り{すわり} or ヤンキー座り{すわり}. "Poop squat" and "yankii squat", respectively. The first one is obvious considering the traditional Japanese-style toilets. The second term refers to the stereotypical image of juvenile delinquents/hoodlums in Japan, ヤンキー, who are known to squat like this.

I don't think "thugs" is a good translation of ヤンキー - (チンピラ may be a closer translation of "thugs"); the stereotypical British chav and chavette is closer in image, if not fashion, to how I picture a ヤンキー.
    – Ken Y-N
    Mar 21 '17 at 4:42
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I agree chav and chavette is a better comparison.
    – user224579
    Mar 21 '17 at 16:03
    I also know it as うんこずわり with ず.
    – Earthliŋ
    Mar 21 '17 at 16:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.