I have seen the honorific used in front of nouns and was wondering if it can be used in front of a person's name. Thank you.

• I've only seen it used with names in the case of deities, such as お稲荷{いなり}さん – bjorn Mar 20 '17 at 14:27
    昔は女性の名前に「お」をつけましたけどね・・・「お雪」「おトミさん」「お菊さん」「お銀」「おカヨちゃん」とか。。。 – Chocolate Mar 20 '17 at 16:29

Yes, it can certainly be. Don't just take my word for it; Look it up in a dictionary, preferably a monolingual one, yourself. For instance, デジタル大辞泉 gives the definition:

2 女性{じょせい}の名{な}に付{つ}いて、尊敬{そんけい}、親{した}しみの意{い}を表{あらわ}す。

My translation of that would be:

"Attached to feminine names, it expresses respect and/or intimacy"

おしん, the TV drama became popular around the world so it needs no introduction. The heroine's name is しん, so that お is the honorific.

Next, let me introduce my neighbor お珠{たま}さん, whose real given name is 珠子{たまこ}.

Finally, here is the well-known song called おゆき.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f3dEPn8nk

Hmmm... While true, I'm not convinced by the example of お珠 - it is more akin to a nice nickname (Lady T) rather than adding お to a real name. And in that case it's not strictly feminine, starting with お拾様. – macraf Mar 21 '17 at 6:23

No it can not be used with people's actual names. It's on added to nouns that are used to refer to people. e.g. お相撲{すもう}さん (a sumo wrestler)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.