Among several other meanings, かな is usually translated as "I wonder", but what does it mean in the following conversation?

A: 「僕はジャズが大好き!君は?」

B: 「私もジャズが好きかな。」

Is the speaker uncertain about whether she likes Jazz or not? Or is it a polite way of saying something on the lines of, e.g, あまり好きじゃない, 嫌いじゃない, and so on?

• Related: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/37001/7810 – broccoli forest Mar 20 '17 at 15:12
  • @broken headphones That question mentions かな only in the sense of "I wonder", but there are many other meanings to it; I'm sure one of these other meanings apply in this case, although I'm not sure which. – dkaeae Mar 23 '17 at 12:50

It means more like "I guess". Say that a person who isn't very into music gets asked what his favorite genre is, then he might reply:

Maybe Jazz, I guess...

So it does add some kind of uncertainty to the reply, and why the speaker is uncertain can depend on a lot of different reasons, just like in any language.

• Even in a conversation going like "A: 僕はジャズが大好き B: 私もジャズが好きかな"? – dkaeae Mar 20 '17 at 20:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.