Is there an abbreviation for 人名用漢字, i.e. character set for names?

I'm looking for anything shorter, really; It can be English or Japanese, as long as it's widely recognised. For example like Tel for telephone number or like for 男性


The 新漢和大辞典 uses the following shorthand:

  • 〔人名〕 jinmeiyō kanji
  • 〔常4〕 jōyō kanji, grade 4

Depending on the context, 人名 or 人名用 could work as "abbreviation" for indicating that a particular kanji belongs to the set of jinmeiyō kanji.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.