I tried to explain this term to a friend with no luck. Thank you.

closed as off-topic by macraf, Dono, Blavius, 永劫回帰, ssb Mar 21 '17 at 14:55

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – macraf, Dono, Blavius, 永劫回帰, ssb
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


There is no word in Japanese that means 'road rage'.

  1. If a listener knows 'road rage'

You can say ロードレージ.

  1. If a listener doesn't know 'road rage'

You can say:


  • 2
    「車に乗ると人が変わる 、豹変する 」(人を指して言う)というより「車に乗ると人が変わること 、豹変すること 」(そうなる状態とか心理状態を指して言う)みたいですけど。。 – Chocolate Mar 19 '17 at 14:30
  • 2
    @paullb It makes great sense to me. Whether it's a good translation is another matter. – broccoli forest Mar 19 '17 at 14:58
  • 1
    @paullb 「車に乗ると人が変わる人」 makes sense and is a natural phrase. 人が変わる is an expression meaning "their personality/character changes", so 車に乗ると人が変わる人 literally means "someone who changes their personality when driving." – Chocolate Mar 20 '17 at 4:03
  • 1
    @paullb I know. That's what I said in my first comment above. Please read: 「車に乗ると人が変わる人、豹変する人」(人を指して言う)というより「車に乗ると人が変わること、豹変すること」(そうなる状態とか心理状態を指して言う)みたいです. In my 2nd comment I just said 車に乗ると人が変わる人 is a natural phrase. I didn't mean to say 車に乗ると人が変わる人 means "Road Rage." – Chocolate Mar 20 '17 at 13:06
  • 1
    you should write that as an answer<- なんで?私のコメントを受けて、sun-solar-arrow さんは「車に乗ると人が変わる人」を「車に乗ると人が変わること」に変えたんだし、もういいと思いますけど。 – Chocolate Mar 20 '17 at 16:08

I have no idea to explain with a word. But if I explain it in Japanese,

road rage ってのは、ほら、ハンドル持つと人が変わるって人いるよね。ちょっとした渋滞なんかでもすぐ舌打ちしてクラクション鳴らしたりしてさ。あれだよあれ。


There isn't really a word except for the Katakana already presented but a consise description would be 車{くるま}の運転中{うんてんちゅう}に突然{とつぜん}キレること


Could 居直り (いなおり) be used? It means "change of attitude" and refers to someone suddenly turning aggressive or violent. It is used, for example, of a burglar who is disturbed by the person whose home he has broken into thinking it was empty and reacts by committing murder or rape.

  • 2
    「居直り」「居直り強盗」とは言いますが、「居直り運転」とかはありません。 – Chocolate Mar 20 '17 at 13:14
  • Shoko-san, Thanks for your comment. Graham. – Graham Healey Mar 20 '17 at 16:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.